The Black IPA we brewed in September was batch #23 for Shue’s Brews, and our 5th all grain brew. We were finally starting to get a little comfortable with all grain brewing when this happened:
Broken arm. On vacation.
At least we were on our last day of vacation (rather than the first day) and doing what we love (mountain biking) when Nick broke his arm. The “big break” happened in October and surgery happened in early November. Even though we both consider ourselves “Shue Brewers”, the sad fact is, I cannot maneuver the 5+ gallons of hot liquor water, wort, etc that’s required for all grain brewing. So, in November we conceded to an extract brew.
We decided on a coffee porter using the same basic extract recipe we used in batch #11, but with different coffee this time.
Its a pretty good porter, but we both agreed we liked it better the first time when we used Big Ring Coffee – Titanium Black. This time, we used Starbucks French Roast.
I’m sure we’ll brew another coffee porter as an all grain recipe sometime in the near future. We’ve definitely gotten back in the brew swing lately.
Still getting our brew legs back under us, we went for another extract brew in March. Since we (I) love all things Rye, we landed on a fairly simple Rye Pale. Nothing much to note about that brew. The beer turned out delicious.
Nick submitted this picture to a photo contest our LHBS was holding and it won! Tiger tickets! (I am pretty sure this was the only actual submission for the contest, but hey, we’ll take it!)
Which brings us to our Magic Zombie #9. I’ve been wanting to do a Magic Hat #9 clone for awhile now, but we just never have for whatever reason.
We brewed this on Easter Sunday (Zombie day .. you know .. cuz dude rose from the dead .. ).
It was a pretty uneventful boil. The whole brew was pretty easy, actually. I’d been a bit leery of all grain as we hadn’t gotten a good process down like we did for extract, but this went really smoothly. And it was a beautiful day! Bonus.
This beer is now in secondary and I can’t wait to taste it.
You may notice our fermentor is not the typical glass carboy that we’ve always used. We’ve had a few system upgrades since we lost touch. There’s a whole post dedicated to that soon. Promise.
PS: the Saison is gone, done, out. We’ll be putting some sort of Belgian brew on our schedule for summer.
PPS: this still doesn’t catch us up, but our next brew deserves its own post. SUSPENSE!